Using the latest techniques, top of the line equipment, and precision care, fat is removed from targeted areas. We have experience with all the major types of liposuction procedures.
Almost all doctors performing liposuction use "tumescent fluid" as the first step. This is a proven safe and effectve way to perform the procedure. Additionally, we typically use intravenous sedation to assure your comfort. This is creating a few small opeinings in the area and fill up the fatty regions with fluid. This fluid is a mixture of saline, lidocaine (for pain control), and epinephrine (to minimize bleeding and to prolong the effect of the lidocaine).
The next step will vary depending on technique.
There are 5 types of liposuction
1. SAL (suction assisted liposuction): through small holes different sized cannulas connected to a suction source are placed within the fatty areas. In a back and forth sweeping motion the fat is sucked into canisters.
2. PAL (power assisted liposuction): same as SAL but instead of the doctor moving the instrument by hand, the machine goes back and forth.
3. UAL (ultrasound assisted liposuction): an instrument is used first that vibrates at speeds of 4,000 strokes per minute. This emulsifies the fat. The fat is then removed with the same cannulas as in SAL. Advertisements about VASER liposuction or Lysonx liposuction are types of UAL.
4. WAL (water jet liposuction): claims no tumescent anesthesia is needed. It breaks up fat by high powered water pulsations and the water is immediately sucked out with the fat.
5. LAL (laser assisted liposuciton): a fiber optic laser is used and placed within the body and the laser ruptures the fat and the fat is then removed with suction cannulas. The thought process is it causes skin tightening, and minimizes downtime, bruising, and pain. There are dozens of different laser liposuction units, the most popular being Smartlipo, Cool Lipo, Lipotherme etc.
6. Ultrasonic assisted liposuction: an example is Body Tite. This is not approved for use in the United States.
Although recovery rates vary from patient to patient, in most cases patients are able to return to most normal activities within a week. Dr. Blyer will recommend the exact timing, given your needs.
Liposuction can be performed in areas such as:
breasts (for breast reduction)
male breasts (please see 'for men section')
around the buttocks